Monday, August 11, 2008

Huh?

I must be taking my job way too seriously... I don't seem to see anyone else at work that pops a new stomach ulcer every morning. Of course, most of them have been there a lot longer than I have, so perhaps they're used to it...

Somehow I've been pigeonholed as the designy guy on this project I'm working on now. That's fairly reasonable, given my background, but it seems like a bit of a stretch for someone who's been with the firm for two weeks to be able to navigate the months and months of backstory on this project and be able to contribute usefully to continuing the narrative. I mean, I like to sketch and think. I wish I could get paid for doing that all the time. But not with a gun to my head. Good critical thinking that expands the realm of possibility should not get a deadline every morning. It's just not effective, or, rather, I'm just not effective within those parameters. If I'm supposed to produce three brilliant ideas by 10am every morning, I'm going to die very soon. I'd rather just be in charge of drafting and offer up my one brilliant idea per week, unsolicited, when it seems appropriate. That's something I can excel at. That's something I can blow the doors off of. People who crowd around my CAD drafting and be like, "whoa, that guy can pump some mean CAD." Instead, I get a lot of quiet nonfeedback about my less-than-brilliant but timely designy ideas. And I feel like a brick.

So why care?

No comments: