Saturday, July 18, 2009

Much, much better

Things have been going much, much better in Raleigh these days, and perhaps surprisingly I can attribute most of that to the simple decision to start playing a second night of volleyball every week, on the outdoor courts not far from home. Much appreciation goes to the person who convinced me (tempted me? coerced me?) to show up the first week. All of a sudden weeknights are not just for studying and TV anymore. In fact, my weekends have become the more boring, antisocial parts of my week these days (that bears some correction, hopefully soon).

I'm headed for home for a long weekend next weekend, and very excited to see the family, hug my sister, play some horse corral volleyball, sleep outdoors, hopefully grab a drink with the Cantabrigians on Friday, reintroduce myself to Felicity (youngest neice), meet my eldest neice's new significant, get retribution for a water-balloon soaking on Memorial Day, and in general commune with the fam.

And get this: I passed my last architecture licensure exam! Yes, I took it many, many weeks ago, but I finally got word that I passed yesterday. It was a structures exam, which meant I had to re-learn about two years worth of college curriculum (ten years ago!) in the span of three months. Oh, but actually more... 80% of the exam was on lateral forces, which we never learned in college. Hazaa! My next exam is August 7, and at the risk of cursing myself, it should be a much easier exam. No math. No real technical terminology. Things directly applicable to work I've done. And then... I'll be nearly halfway done!

No comments: