Friday, December 31, 2010

Obligatory year-end wrap-up

I just scrolled down the blog and found last year's December 31st post... it couldn't get any worse, right? Right?

Wow, how optimistic and excited we all were about 2010 in the hours leading up to New Years Eve dinner... and how HORRIBLE the night turned out after that. We waited literally for hours after our reservation to be seated to dinner, and in the meantime had to endure the crush of New Years Eve bar mobs. When we were finally seated at 11:30pm, the service was attrocious and I believe we were finally served food after midnight (the kitchen staff were pressed into service for additional time). It was amazing foreshadowing of 2010... gritting teeth trying to hold back supremely self-righteous anger.

2010 will join 2009 on the reject page, at least for awhile. Some great things did happen--I got my professional license, I got to fall in love, I got to be a part of important groups with significant connections... The roots are pushing through the pine straw and thin gravel to find the soil. It's sad that my brain can take those amazing things and just bury them. That's Psychology 101, though--people feel loss more severely than gain. I am people. I just tend to dwell on stuff much longer than most. Every injustice is a personal trauma. Every wrong must be righted.

2011, be good to me and I'll be good to you. Don't be like your older siblings and I won't roll my eyes at you when I see you on the gas pump. Let me tell my grandkids how 2011 was the watershed year that stopped this hideous decade--The Shitties--in its tracks. The economy grew! Unemployment sank! Wars concluded! The check engine light turned off by itself! We all fell in love and it was a GOOD thing! Someone invented a calorie-free Krispe Kreme donut! Be THAT year, 2011--be cool, and I'll catch up with you and be cool too. Mmmkay?

No comments: