Sunday, November 1, 2009

All Souls

Whatever became of Halloween? I remember a time when trick-or-treating was a time-honored tradition (whatever the hell that means). Suburban residential streets would be filled with little kids in plastic and fabric costumes with their baggies or pumpkin baskets or pillow cases swaying to and fro. Adult overseers would watch from the sidewalk as their little goblin and princess skittered up the driveway to the front door of some 70's Bradyesque monstrosity covered in plastic decorations and the salvaged remains of the smashed jackolanterns the neighborhood miscreants had tormented the night before. This is the way it worked. This is the fun that was Halloween. This was the kickoff of the Halloween-to-Easter Candy Season. This was the pinnacle of the elementary school haute couture fashion season. But now? I was at a party in a neighborhood where there were hundreds of pleasant suburban houses mere feet apart--in fact, my first comment upon seeing this neighborhood months before was, "wow, this would be a great place to trick-or-treat!" It was one of those neighborhoods you could go back over two or three times with a different costume and really rake in the calories. But despite beautiful weather and the obligatory "we're open for business" lit jackolantern, we had all of four small groups of trick-or-treaters. Maybe ten kids, tops. Those were the kind of numbers we were used to living in a dark brown house at the top of a dead-end street on a hill back in Massachusetts (it was nearly impossible to even see the house as your approached it). It was pathetic.

What is motivating this cultural shift? Are parents fearful for their kids' safety? I remember when I was a kid there was the real danger of cars running over trick-or-treaters, but last night I could have driven up the front lawns of every damn house in the subdivision and not hit a single costumed child. And there were the annual scares about needles and razor blades in Halloween candy, which required parents to forensically analyze every Snickers and Reese's Peanut Butter Cup for hairline cuts in the wrappers, and immediately throw out anything that was in a hand-assembled giftie bag rather than a factory-sealed wrapper. Is it the religious component? All those families that don't believe in celebrating a "devil's holiday"... as if the devil wasn't the Mars corporation that makes the candy they're all eating at the church's alternative "harvest social" that night? Want a conversation stopper on Halloween? Just repeat what the little girl in front of me in line at the Rite Aid said to the woman at the counter when asked what she was going to be tonight: "oh, we don't celebrate Halloween." Silence. Perhaps it's the childhood obesity epidemic? Parents worry about one night of chocolate orgy but are oblivious as Jacob and Madison swim in Mountain Dew and chocolate milk the rest of the year. What happened to kids having a fun fucking night of dressing up and eating candy while supervised by vigilant parents in a non-threatening, non-satanic envionment? Is that so fucking hard that we have to just stop doing it? You people suck.

Anyway, I was a moth wrapped in spiderweb being attacked by a huge stuffed spider. The idea was great but the execution was lacking, and it broke my #1 rule for costumes: I have to be able to sit down. So the spider spent most of the evening on the floor, and my antennae kinda hurt, so for most of the evening I was a ball of spider web.

3 comments:

Jeff Locke said...

Well, Paul, I agree with you highly. We went with the kids to the campgrounds (my rents still live there) in Sterling, and it used to be they would get close to 100 kids. This year 10. Seems like the number dwindles down every year. It was so nice out this year people didn't even need to go to doors, everyone was outside with their bowls. Although, I will say bringing the kids around does help you remember what it was like. My 8 year old went out as a dead bridesmaid, and we dressed the twins in togas! All homemade of course, we won't stoop to buying the crappy store costumes yet. We had a great time, and got tons of candy, we as it turns out will end up mostly mine!

Dorothy said...

Hey Paul, you will be glad to know that the kids in my neighborhood still do what you describe! We got a ton of kids -- though these kids are way more polite than me: We had a ton of candy and said, "Take whatever you want! Take a handful!" and most kids gingerly picked one item from the bowl. Whatever! (hmm, it just occured to me that we bought cheap-o bulk foil-wrapped Palmer candy and maybe the kids had been instructed by parents about the degree of wrapping or something . . .)

My parents report the dwindling numbers you speak of -- but that's 'cause my old neighborhood has demographically shifted from families/kids living in triple-decker rentals to I guess kidless folks owning their triple-decker-turned-condo and also being antisocial I guess. (But there are way more dogs to go with these people, though!)

Anyway, maybe there just aren't many kids in your neighborhood?!

Dorothy said...

Also, can I just include: now that I'm an adult, I keep hearing about parents taking their kids' candy, throwing it out, eating it, even dentists trading it in for [very little] money (??!). All I have to say is when I was a kid, I got to enjoy ALL the candy I worked so hard to collect! My parents I guess knew me well enough (that I organized and inventoried every piece) to just leave me alone with my greediness and overeating sugar-high euphoria. And that's the way it should be for one day a year for crying out loud!