Sunday, November 2, 2008

Four months and counting

November 1 was my four monthiversary here in North Carolina. I'm not sure if that should feel like a long time or a short time... depending on the situation, it could feel one or the other. I still don't know many people here in town (short time), but I've already been here longer than some folks I've met (long time). My car is beginning to commute itself to work (long time), but I'm still anxious about the I-40 traffic (short time). I still feel like a newbie at work (short time) and yet I had a laundry list of complaints at my 3-month work review that would suggest a seasoned disgruntlement (long time). Not a girl, not yet a woman, as I guess Britney Spears would say. I at least think the deer-in-the-headlights phase is passing. Slowly.

No grand promenade around Raleigh today, though the weather was (allegedly) perfect; I made a pact with myself that I would do all my chores and errands yesterday and focus on LEED exam studying today--I've only opened my door twice (once for the paper, once for the Obama greeters). I took a practice test today and didn't do great, although doing badly was the point--figuring out where the gaps are in my knowledge. I have just over two weeks of studying left, and though I feel like some of the information is starting to settle into the synapses, I'm unsure of my ability to master the knowledge in time. It would be a costly failure ($300), embarassing considering all the people who know I'm taking it, and a big confidence deflater at a time when I'm not brimming with it already, but... well, no one's life (or livelihood) depends on it. I'm not angling for a career as a sustainability consultant. But it sure will be tough heading into seven registration exams already in the hole.

I'm still eager for things to settle down. Thought I'm very excited about the election on Tuesday, I can't wait for it to be over and to know what we have to deal with for the next four years. I can't wait for the construction at our office to be done so I can actually concentrate on my job and--perhaps--do well at it. New things are on the horizon, though--possible business trip to Cambridge, then back again for Thanksgiving two weeks later; the exam; scheduling the next exams; deadlines; gift shopping; tons of birthdays to remember...

Thank goodness I'm not following any sports, or I would run out of brain.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Obama people have been here 3 times... I feel like I should make cookies for them. Being in a battleground state is kind of exciting. Last time I was just another Kerry voter among MA Kerry voters.

Happy 4 month-a-versary!

Felicity and Harry said...

Looking forward to seeing you, Uncle Paul!